Common printer problems (across all types of printers) and how to resolve them.
For more advice, please check out the troubleshooting page for your particular printer model:
1) Error light at the front of the printer is flashing quickly?
This can mean that there is no paper in the printer. A new roll of paper must be placed into the printer for it to operate. If you need to order more paper, please click here.
2) The error light at the front of the printer is flashing slowly?
This simply means that the printer is close to running out of paper. We advise that a new roll of paper be placed into the printer in order for it to operate properly.
3) A faint looking red line appears on my receipts, what does this mean?
If this line appears on your receipts, it is again another indication that the printer is close to running out of paper. Please insert a new till roll into the printer for it to operate properly.
4) Error light at the front of the printer is flashing very quickly?
This error is usually caused by a paper jam. Turn the power OFF, open up the paper hatch and clear the jammed paper then power back ON. (The printer has to be turned off to clear the jam).
5)The printer is printing out with a wide margin on the left/right, which pushes all the information over and cuts it off.
This is most likely a printer alignment issue. Check to see if this still happens when you test print from the Utility App. To do this:
- Download the TSP143iii Utility app from the App Store.
- When it loads, go to Unselected State, and select the printer from the list > Apply
- Then go to Installation in the blue tab at the bottom > Printer Test
- If it still prints off incorrectly, go to the Settings tab at the bottom > Memory switch settings and check:
- print speed and print density = Standard
- Printable area = 72mm
- Compression (vertical) = disable
6) I need to turn off automatic printing
- Firstly, go to Setup > Printers > Edit the printer profile, and select "no print" from the print copies dropdown > Submit your changes
- Then, if you want to turn off automatic receipt printing, go to Setup > Registers > Edit the register profile > go to Register Receipt Printing > and de-select the "Always print on iZettle/SumUp/Card payments" option > Submit your changes
- Finally, refresh on the POS app by tapping the logo at the top left.
- Remember you'll still be able to manually print receipts on the POS app by going to the printer icon > Print last receipt. Or by going to the cog at the top right > Previous Transactions > select the sale > press print receipt.
7) The printer is printing very small and with a long black box at the top
- This is because the printing options have been incorrectly set in the back office
- Firstly, go to Setup > Printers > and ensure there is a printer profile setup for a "receipt printer" - it's vital that the printer type says "receipt". If you don't want receipts to print, please follow the steps above for point 6, but note that you will need a "receipt printer profile" to be active.
- Then, in Setup > Printers, check that your ticket printers (if needed) are correct and active. For more information on how to set this up, please click here.
- Finally -and most importantly - go to Setup > Registers > Edit the register. You will need to check the "receipt printer" is correctly selected - click on the dropdown to ensure that it's active and can be selected. Then scroll down to the ticket printers, and select the dropdown for each box to ensure the correct option is selected. If you don't have a ticket printer, ensure that you select the blank option at the top of the dropdown options.
- Submit your changes to save them, then refresh on the POS app with the logo at the top left.